Wednesday, June 23, 2010

#19: relationships, part two.

I promise this will be the last I write on this subject for awhile, mostly because I don't think this is a subject worth focusing so much of my time on. I've just had some really interesting things come up with it recently.

I was never really a girl who focused on romantic relationships. I was never a girl who was that interested in them. Apparently this phenomenon needed a label, and there it was, thanks to one of my old roommates: Quirkyalone. I sort of enjoyed that she had "invented" a word for me until I found out that it really wasn't for ME, per se...that it was from a book of the same title.

[Quirkyalone: n. adj. a person who enjoys being single (or spending time alone) and so prefers to wait for the right person to come along rather than dating indiscriminately; relishing equal doses of solitude and friendship; attracted to freedom and possibility.]


I think it's pretty valid. I think it's a pretty wonderful way to live. I see no real issue with it.

Apparently, I am wrong.


Last weekend Lesley and I went to Ginger's grad party. We had a super fantastic time. At one point, Ginger's mom Holly, who came into the store all the time and therefore knows me, pulled me aside to chat. Which is cool, I love Holly. Until she started in on a weird string of questions.

"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"Do you date?"
"You should. You're a lot of fun."
"Why don't you date?"
"Boys are great. You're at the prime of your dating life."

It made me laugh.

I also found out that not too long ago, our store owner Craig grilled Laura about my status of nondating. Apparently my boss has also inquired to Laura about this. My grandparents bug me about it constantly. My mom too.


It was a topic of conversation that I had with Laura the other day. She had an interesting argument: My status as a Quirkyalone seemed to be more "counter-cultural" than her sexuality.

I was quick to deny it, until she listed off her argument. [See above examples.]
She also said that it was strange for HER to know this about us, that as far as relationships go, she was not used to being the more "normal" one. Because while the partner she seeks isn't exactly the norm, at least she is seeking one. Which is valid...hypothetically.

I guess I just don't understand what the fuss is about. I HAVE dated before. I've been in relationships before. Those relationships, at that time and that place, I wanted to be in. I felt comfortable in. I felt a genuine connection to that person. And yes, those connections didn't last, but so be it. I've lived and learned from each of those relationships, no major harm, no major foul.

I don't understand society's need to push us together, to couple us off. I get more love from my friends than from one person at this point in my life. Things change. The love of my life might walk into my world tomorrow, who knows? Until then, I will not be pressured by outside forces to date, to get suckered into a relationship that I do not want to be in.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't date. I just won't settle at this point for dating someone who I don't think would be a long term thing. Why date if the ultimate goal is nowhere in sight? *shrug* It seems counterproductive.

Somewhere along the line, I lost my point. Sorry for the rambling. I need to get some sleep. G'night lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment